Thursday, July 11, 2013

To Honeymoon or Not...?

So one of the questions I am getting asked a LOT lately is "Where are you going on your honeymoon?"  And my response is always "We have no idea..."  Tradition dictates that brides and grooms immediately leave for their honeymoon they day after their wedding.  But more and more I am hearing of couples postponing this trip. 

We are getting married on a Friday and I already know we will NOT be leaving that Saturday morning.  Getting on a plane hungover/exhausted both emotionally and mentally just doesn't appeal to either one of us.  We are definitely going to need at least one day to just decompress after embarking on this amazing and wonderful journey together.  Also, we live together and have for 2 years.  So spending the night together or going away together isn't a novel idea.  We don't HAVE to rush off.

The two main points though are the expense and agreeing on where to go.  From my blog, you can guess that I travel a LOT and to pretty amazing destinations.  I am used to traveling 24+ hours to get somewhere and have perfected my way of fighting jet lag.  I am a very easy going traveler because I do it all the time.  I want somewhere really exotic, full of adventure and romance.  Now my fiance on the other hand is basically the polar opposite.  He has only been out of the country once (to Jamaica so that barely counts), he HATES flying and he is a very stressed-out traveler.  He would be happy going to Ocean City, MD (not really but he does make that joke a lot).

So finding a location that can fit both of our desires is a challenge.  He suggested Hawaii which might be the best way to compromise.  But it SOOOO expensive.  I know this trip should be awesome but the thought of booking this on top of other wedding expenses gives me heart palpitations.  There are Honeymoon Registry sites out there now which I have contemplated signing up for.  The Caribbean would make much more financial sense but as usual my desires don't match my bank account.  On top of this dilemma of where to go, is when.  Part of me wants to wait until May or even the summer when we can really relax.  But then I am so afraid that if we don't take the time, then we never will.  We still have 9 months to figure this out (well less if want to get a good deal) but I will be happy when I can cross this off my To-Do list...

When did you do your honeymoon?  Where did you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment