Monday, January 14, 2013

My First Double Digit Run

In addition to my regular job and wedding planning (which is practically a full time job), I love working out and am training for a half marathon at the end of February.  This is no ordinary half: this is the Disney Princess Half Marathon!!  This also marks my first half marathon ever.  Up until this point, I have run quite a few 5Ks but that has been the extent of my running career.  However, I love a challenge and decided to push myself.  Plus I grew up in a family that visited Disney World every few years.  So I asked Michael if he would want to join me, and with his yes, I started my training program.

I have been training since October using the Jeff Galloway Training Plan (http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/) and would definitely recommend it to those just starting out.  Before October, the furthest I had ever run was probably 5 miles.  I love working out but hate running.  This past weekend I hit a major milestone with running 10 MILES!!  That's double digit mileage.  If you asked me back in August before I decided to run this, I would have laughed at the thought of running that far.  But I did it in 1:37...and relatively painfree.

Here are some highlights from my run around Baltimore:

 
It was a very overcast day but the temps were in the 50's
 
 


Ravens Pride on the side of Federal Hill
 
 


This is a piece of one of the World Trade Center towers.  It is there as a memorial for the Marylanders who lost their lives on September 11th.  I always get chills when I run past it.
 


On a lighter note, there is a bread factory on my route.  It smells amazing and makes me hungry.
 
 
 
Huge cargo ships that come in to the Inner Harbor
 
 
Mr. Boh - An icon of Baltimore (The beer is gross but lots of people love it)
 

After this weekend, only 3.1 miles stand in my way of finishing my goal.  I actually got a bit teary-eyed when my MapMyRun app lady told me "You have gone 10.0 miles" because that is such a major accomplishment for me.  While I still cannot say that I LOVE running, I don't mind it and actually prefer to run 5 or 6 miles to just 3.  There are only 5 weeks left until our trip and after my first double digit run this past weekend, I KNOW I've got this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment